Thursday, April 18, 2013

NYX eyeshadow base in Skin Tone - swatch/review

NYX eyeshadow base ESB03

Today, I thought I would share my thoughts on NYX's eyeshadow base in Skin Tone (ESB03).  The contents of this pot are 0.25oz/7g.  It comes in a screw top, plastic container that seals very nicely and tight. This usually retails for around $7.00 USD, but goes on sale often.  You can purchase this at NYX site HERE, Ulta stores/online, and Meijer.  This is where it is available in my area.  Their site has a nifty search tool to see if it is available near you.  I have heard of NYX popping up in other stores around the US not mentioned here.

NYX ESB03 Skin Tone ingredients

NYX ESB Skin Tone  - open
When I picked this up at my local Ulta, I was on a base rampage!  I have a bit of a problem...and that is buying eyeshadow bases.  I tend to work long hours, or spend time outside where I do not always have the option to touch up.  A good eyeshadow base is key.  I am always on the lookout for the best, skin toned shadow base, so when I saw NYX's, I jumped at it.

This base is pretty simple.  It claims to improve wearability and staying power of shadow, prevents fall out, and makes shadows more vibrant.  I do not agree with all of those claims.

Let us start with:
wearability - the base itself is creamy, but not so much so that it creases easily.  This makes blending on the eye a dream.  No dragging or pulling of the eye skin.  It feels moisturizing, and dries to a nice matte finish.  It feels very comfortable upon application, as well as throughout the day.

staying power - upon application, the shadow looks fresh and vibrant.  I do not have oily lids, but an 8 hour work day will test the validity of any shadow for sure.  Around hour 5 I do start to see some fading and creasing, although minimal.

vibrancy - I like that the skin toned color of this base did not compete with any of my neutral shadows.  I do use it with more colorful shadows, but I do find because it is not brighter, that they do not stand out 100%.

NYX ESB03 swatch - direct sun

Though it does not last as long as I personally would like it to, this primer is fantastic.  It is perfect for those who are looking for a base that is easy to take off, cost effective and easy to find. I have had mine for about 8 months and I am starting to see a divot in the pot, but I still have a long ways before I am out of product.  I have given this primer to friends who are getting into makeup and they find the ease of use of this product to be great.

See you next time!




7 comments:

  1. I love nyx ! I have the white base & like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. NYX has great products. I have really oily lids though, so if this only lasts about 5 hours for you, it won't quite work for me. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a bummer. Have you tried any of their other primers?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete